I'm a sucker for anything with my kids handprints. I have tons of their little hands and feet imprints from over the years to mark their growth.
1/2 yards of white cotton fabric
1 yard of colored fabric
1 wooden dowel, 3 feet long and 1/2 inch thick
1. Have each person in your family pick out their favorite color and spread a little of each color on a paper plate.
2. Working from biggest to littlest hands, have each person dip her hands in her chosen paint and print them on the cotton fabric, overlapping the handprints slightly as the group moves up the tree.
3. Use a paintbrush to add a tree trunk and then let all the paint dry.
4. Identify each set of handprints with a permanent marker.
5. Cut around the handprints to form a tree shape.
6. Glue it to the background fabric, fold over a few inches at the top, and glue to make a sleeve for the dowel.
7. Fashion a hanging cord from yarn and display the banner.