Kid Printables
Welcome to KidPrintables.com join for free search printables advertise blog
Member of the Moms Network Community of Sites - Providing Free Resource for Moms
kid printables boxes

color pages puzzles & games mazes word searches all about me book journals, logs & lists
printable awards birthday invites learning printables bingo cards thank you notes door hangers
stationery stickers lunch box notes coupons for kids message boards bookmarks

» Quick Clicks
Bonus Fun:

100's of Kids Crafts
   600 Children's Songs
   Kid Recipes
   Jokes for Kids

puzzles & games
coloring  pages
stationery & notepads
all about me book
word searches
lunch box notes
thank you cards
printable awards
stickers

Go Back   KidPrintable Boards > Chit Chat > Question of the Week

Old 07-30-2006, 05:08 PM

Default Uniforms not for me

In my sons school uniforms are not required and I kind of like it that way. I feel by making all of the children wear the same thing it is kind of saying all children should be and act alike. I disagree. I think children should be able to be themselves and show their true personalities. By being able to wear what he wants, this allows others to see and learn a little more about my son.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:19 PM

Default Question of the Week - School Uniforms

Hi.
I've been teaching in various schools across the country and in Japan. Quite a few of the schools required uniforms, and although they were simple most times, such as navy collared tops and khaki bottoms, I have found the parents enjoyed them; but the children overall did not. I always am curious as to the real reasons schools chose to have uniforms...is it REALLY for the children or the parents - or the school? (My daughter has been enrolled in both schools with and without uniforms as well.)
Old 07-30-2006, 06:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to musshel

I don't think there is anything wrong with uniforms. It puts the kids on an even setting, regardless of their families income. I don't think uniforms put anymore strain on a low income family than the kids coming home wanting the latest style that "Billy" or "Jane" were wearing that day.
Our public schools do not have uniforms, but I wouldn't object to it.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:04 PM

Default Question of the Week

[I do not like the idea of school uniforms. Lower-income families have a hard time affording them. Also, I feel it takes away the individuality of the children. I don't encourage buying "name brands" but I do like individuality.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:24 PM

Default School Uniforms

I LOVE that my son's school requires uniforms. It's nice to know that he won't be picked on if my husband and I can't afford the latest fashions, or don't think the attire is suitable! I think more schools should implement this policy.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:41 PM

Smile

I have mixed emotions about school uniforms. While they do cut down on "what is everybody else wearing", they can be quite expensive. Where I live, some schools have adopted a uniform dress code. Our city also has a "uniform clearing house" of sorts. Parents whose children have outgrown uniforms can take them here, and if available, trade them for new ones that fit. Low-income families can also apply and receive uniforms from them free or at a discount depending on income.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:47 PM

there are pros and cons to having school uniforms. I agree that it would make things a lot simpler in the morning as far as what to wear and would eliminate a lot of teasing due to the clothes they wear. On the bad side I agree as well that the cost may be too much for low income families especially if they have more than one child in school. Here where I live there are no schools that require uniforms although there was talk about it at one time but nothing ever came of it.

Michelle
Old 07-30-2006, 07:48 PM

I would love for our schools to require them. My niece has to wear them and my sister says it is wonderful. No more having to figure out what to wear each morning.
Toni
Old 07-30-2006, 08:29 PM

Default Wish they did

In our town only the Catholic Schools require uniforms. I wish they all did because I think kids would feel less peer pressure to fit in. But I also think they should be reasonably priced and for low income family they could either provide uniforms at a lower price or free. One way to do this would be for people to donate uniforms that their children have outgrown or they could be given a discount on new uniforms for trading in their used ones.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:48 PM

Default school uniforms

Personally I love it. I agree with others its so much easier. My grandson has been wearing uniforms for 2 years and on Fridays they are allowed to wear street cloths.